So, we headed out to Houston earlier this month... Trip was EXTREMELY fearful that this was going to be the worst idea we ever had! Our sweet friends Claire and Nathan (Kristin's brother-in-law and soon to be sister-in-law) got married in The Woodlands and we wanted to be there! So, we headed down with a plan to stay with Lauren and Bern for a couple of days, then go to the wedding and drive back to Dallas directly after the wedding since the wedding was at 4 pm, we were already and hour or so closer to Dallas, and because it would give us a full day in Dallas to recuperate and get the babies back on schedule.
Surprisingly enough, the trip went really well... until 7:15 pm Saturday night. We had a great weekend hanging out with Bern and Lauren, we ate dinner at Lupe's (and lunch), we went to the Galleria, saw a couple of good friends and went to the wedding. We had such a great time and Lauren, Bern and Talan were such great hosts and wonderful helpers!
On Saturday, we only gave ourselves 1 hour to get from Houston to the church (we needed 1:15 due to Houston Saturday afternoon traffic???). So only Caden was fed before we went into the wedding, luckily, both babies were fantastic during the ceremony... Linley slept and Caden was content. We decided to push Linley to the next feeding so she would be on schedule with Caden since she was sleeping away, VERY BAD IDEA. She slept until the next feeding but when she woke up at 6 pm to eat both she and Caden were pissed. So there we are feeding them at one of the tables at the reception, thank goodness that Therese had the foresight to put us at a fantastic table with a group of really sweet friends, lots of grandparents, so it worked out okay. Then we decided to head home, caution, this is where it gets bad... since we skipped Linley's 3 pm feeding the 6 pm feeding wasn't quite enough and as soon as we got in the car to drive back to Dallas she starts screaming at the top of her lungs and would not calm down. Trip stopped to get gas in Conroe and the gas pump asks him 20 questions before it will allow him to pump gas (DL #, odometer reading etc...) so he got REALLY frustrated and decided to go to another station. At that station I decided to jump out and warm up the bottles in the restroom since that was the only thing I could think of doing to calm miss Linley down... no hot water. I tried the coffee machine, no hot water? Really, no hot water at the gas station, ANY WHERE. I finally did the one thing you aren't supposed to do, I microwaved the bottles. I promise I didn't scald them, but really, NO HOT WATER???? I tried feeding Linley in the car seat, no go, still screaming... so I resorted to pulling her out of the car seat and feeding her, sorry I know, I am a bad mom. She finally calms down enough to eat but about 3 ounces into the feeding I realize I had made a terrible mistake. Unfortunately, this realization came after she threw up all over me... there were 4 bottles in the cooler, 2 of formula and 2 of breast milk and formula. I accidentally gave her a formula only bottle and her little tummy was very upset with that. I had throw up all over me, all over her and all over the car. So there I am in the back seat of the Expedition with throw up all over the place, searching for burp cloths to clean us up, searching for new PJs for Linley (she ended up in Caden's) and new PJ pants for me. It was not good! In fact, the car looked like one of the bags exploded the next day when Trip unpacked. Meanwhile, I had been needing to pump since about 6 pm but since Linley had her meltdown I hadn't had a chance. After I got Linley situated (she was finally happy), I climbed up to the front seat and busted out my pump. Yes, that is right, there I was in the front seat pumping after an hour and a half of screaming Linley. All of the sudden both Trip and I start laughing and he just shakes his head and says "where did my life take such a drastic left turn?" I think it was the pumping in the front seat that put him over the edge...
 |
| Caden has figured out how to grab and hold toys |
 |
| Lauren and Caden |
 |
I think people thought we had triplets... Casen, Ashtyn,
Byron, Sherry, Hauck and Lexi joined us for lunch at
Lupe's |
 |
| Lauren and Linley |
 |
| Bern and Caden |
 |
sleeping away the wedding, if only we knew what was
coming next. |
 |
Dad and Caden recovering on Sunday... Caden in his
hamburgler pjs as Trip calls them. |
2 comments:
Yup - I think every new set of parents have a great story like this one...it's the initiation I guess. Won't be the last one I promise! :)
OMG what a crazy story! At least you can laugh about it now. The babies are looking so cute.
Post a Comment